Sunday, February 3, 2008

I Love IKAT!




The above sketches are examples of the current direction my drawing is taking. Being first and foremost a graphic designer, I see that I am most attracted to line, shape, pattern and flat colour. Even when I work by hand, I gravitate towards these elements over any others.

Although only one painted sketch above is of an Ikat pattern (directly above), I must say it is something I would like to do more of. There are so many ways in which I can reproduce Ikat by hand, that it will take me some time to understand what works best. In any case, watch out for large-scale, hand-drawn Ikat patterns coming your way!

(Ikat is a style of weaving that uses a resist dyeing process similar to tie-dye on either the warp or weft before the threads are woven to create a pattern or design. It is commonly found in India among other countries.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey meera sethi this is rashid textile designer from pakistan saw you designs on the web site.i am also making ikat and i am big fan of it,good to see your web site.
do you have a workshop for ikat or ? contect me on de.designer@gmail.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails